Monday, November 30, 2009

My Little Projects Part 1

Sorry I have been M.I.A. lately. I was uber busy with my husband's return from his one month stay in the desert. Then a trip to my mom's for Thanksgiving, which I completely forgot to take my camera with me to take pics of projects I did while I was there :o( Next time. So now that I am back home with hubby in tow I can finally get so many projects done! I am sooooo excited, yippeeee. I can finally finish the armoire, desk, chest, dresser, dining table, chairs, and sons room. Oh and for Christmas I told the hubby I wanted 3 rooms painted. They will be the kitchen, master bedroom, and son's room. Oh and I have a ton of small projects too. Plus a knock off project of Ballard Design's. Set of 9 prints for $169 (on sale) done for around $20!! So much to show. Here is one of the first "little" projects I have to show. I didn't take any pics while I was doing it, I know shame on me, but I'll explain what I did.

The pic above is the before. I bought two of these heavy resin frames for $16 at the local flea market warehouse place called This Old Place. I find good deals there all the time.

This is the first re-do. I had spray painted (.99c spray paint of course) one frame a flat white and spray painted the matting silver with spray paints I already had. I love Chanel No. 5 perfume bottles so I printed this image off of Flickr. I have four images saved but they're too girly for my husband.

So I took them down out of my room and found a place in the den for them. I spray painted them a flat black ( .99c paint once again) and used white craft paint ( .47c @ walmart) to dry brush all the creases and detail.
I tried to take a closer pic of the detail so you could see where I had dry brushed it. To dry brush I had read about using water to thin the paint, but this didn't work for me. It made the black paint look dirty mixed with the white. So I dipped my brush in the craft paint and wiped it all off. Then I just starting pouncing the brush into the crevices and rubbed it over the "moulding". (Not sure what you call the carved details in the frame, moulding works for me though)
After replacing the matting (bought at Hobby Lobby for $3 ea. I think) I went ahead and hung them. Excuse the dirty glass. I still need to clean them. And I also need to find another picture to put in the bottom frame too. But I think they look just perfect for my den. If I would've used them in my living room I would've done cream with light turquoise craft paint.
Stay tuned for more little projects as well as big ones. Hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving.

4 comments:

Free Art Printables said...

THey look great! You would never guess they were the same frames!

Dayka Robinson said...

You're back--I was beginning to wonder if something happened! Like the frames, the dry brush looks good.

###### said...

wow..great frames girl

Symone's Mommy said...

Oooo, nice! Love the detailing. Glad you got some time in with the hubby!