Friday, March 12, 2010

DIY: Glamorous Desk

Though this $15 desk didn't start off so glamorous, I knew it would be perfect for my room. I already had an inspiration pic saved for just this project. Lets' get started on how I did it.


My $15 CYS Desk
Some left over paint from the Little Girl's Vanity Project that I stored in an old jar in the fridge.

I did the usual Sand/Prime & Paint. I used Valspar spray paint primer (I now use Zinsser which is fab!) & $1 flat white Color Place spray paint. Remember what happened when I used white Rustoleum Professional spray paint? That was a pure pisser offer. I will never spray paint a whole piece of furniture white EVER. AGAIN. Okay now on to the details. Since I don't know how to paint a straight, or curved for that matter, line I used a saucer to draw my curves.

After marking 3/4 in. up each side (see those 2 little dots?) I drew my semi-circle starting on the mark I made. I then connected the dots using frog tape & measured up another 3/4 in. and taped across from that. This was to make a straight band connection the semi circles. I had to free hand paint the semi circle, which was fairly easy with a wide tip cheap craft paint brush.


I also did the same thing for the top drawers. Only I used smaller saucers & measured a 1/2 in. since the drawers obviously cover less space. The square drawers I just did a band with 1/2 in. measuring.


After adding little shadow lines (which were also free handed as you can tell) using black craft paint I let the desk dry about an hour. I then started layering on wipe on poly in gloss. I did a total of 4 coats (1 coat every 2-3 hours) for extra shine! I let the desk sit overnight and added some .80 cent pull rings.


Voila! What should've taken a couple of days took me about a couple of weeks. Sad right? I told you I have to get a handle on these DIYs.


A view from the top.


See how I just traced almost completely around my saucer. I thought it would frame the knob nicely. What do you think?


Here look closer. You see my shaky black line?





Shine baby shine!


Don;t worry I didn't neglect the sides.


Here is the inspiration pic. This is from Mrs. Howard Personal Shopper.


Is it a huge improvement or what? Do you have anything you completely changed? If so please paste your link in the comments section!! I would love to see :o)
Linked up at :Poppies@Play (all sorts of goodness there! Check it out..NOW :o) !) , Mrs. Mustard Seed (It's a furniture party..hurry & link up {furniture..duh}, then check out her blog!!)

24 comments:

Dayka Robinson said...

i wouldn't have thought to do this, but you did a great job. i love the hardware you chose, too--it perfectly complements your custom paint job!

karen@fitnessjourney said...

I love what you did to the top. You are so talented.

The Single Nester said...

Delightful!

Redesign Diva said...

Girl, you are soooo kickin some DIY butt! It looks good...you are definitely creative Ms Adrianna and i love the new look!

You and that wipe on poly, I have to go try some! You have me hooked and I have never even used it!

Miss Mustard Seed said...

I really like the design detail on this piece. Taking weeks to finish a project isn't sad. Happens to me all the time! Sometimes months...

Linda @ theLENNOXX said...

Wow, that is such a fantastic transformation! I love these posts of yours, so much inspiration =) And the pullers looks so good on this desk. Have a great weekend =D

Nessa said...

I like the knobs on yours better. You make me want to redo furniture. Everything you do is so pretty.

Weekend Reflections - Green Beer

brokeintrovert said...

Your desk came out great! I like the black lines...adds character. Next time, if you want straighter lines, use one of those paint markers or a Sharpie? I would do the same with the brush, though. I have completed anything, because I am sick again. Headache, aches and chills, and runny nose and congestion. I've been sick every month since January. It will be nicer in mid April...then, I can open windows and start painting. Husband has a hard time with paint fumes.

Linda @ theLENNOXX said...

Why do you hate deers (now)?? haha!

Saucy said...

That is an amazing transformation. One skill I definitely do not possess is the ability to look at an old piece of furniture and envision something like this so I envy you.

The difference between your finished product (which looks wonderful, by the way) and the inspiration is that the inspiration is a little distressed and it looks almost as though it has been finished with a slightly browned shellac to make it look old... are you planning on doing that part too? Just wondering.

Fran said...

Wow! Great job! Do you ever sleep??? How do you do it all!

Anonymous said...

Hi, you did an amazing job!! It looks beautiful....Kathy

Pauline Wiles said...

I love the colors you chose here! The desk is lucky to have been found by you ;)

Free Art Printables said...

It looks wonderful! It has such a great vintage feel and you really updated it!

Atticmag said...

Nailed it! Wow, what a great inspiration result. Hope you will have time to come take our tour of the Architectural Digest Home Design show. -- Jane F

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love it! I love the design you did on top, too!

gabrielle said...

Wow, you did a really wonderful job on this!

Frugal Home Designs said...

That looks great. You totally captured your inspiration piece.

Paddywack Designs said...

Wow, wow, wow, it looks so great. Great reworking of the piece! So much talent.

Paddywack Designs said...

Wow, wow, wow, it looks so great. Great reworking of the piece! So much talent.

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

great job on the desk! I love the color, and the way you painted it.
gail

Andy Porter said...

Wow!! I just can't help but love a good furniture refashion!! Thanks so much for linking to Creative Cats!!

Silvana Kathryn said...

I think this is so adorable. I have always loved a little trompe l'oeil. As a girl I painted my walls in ivy and fake trim on my desk.

Infarrantly Creative said...

Holy cow you really put your heart into this project. Great job! What a great change from a black, white or cream desk.