Friday, April 23, 2010

Harboring This Shame

All you have to do is watch. Feel inspired. Then share. Heather Bullard posted this on her lovely blog. I thanked her for doing so.




For so long I have never told anyone my deeply embedded dream. For fear that I may feel shame in doing so. I don't know if it is shame or the fact that I hold this passion so close to my heart that I want nothing but to protect it. I have so many dreams. Though I must completely come clean. Even though I look to become a financial analyst (yes I am always looking for ways to save $$ even on a bigger scale) my heart is 100% in affordable design.




I have always wanted to buy a house and decorate each room accordingly with my own refurbished pieces and local artwork. All things affordable, and I don't mean affordable for the middle-high class budget I mean for the usual family with the average 3 kids. I would make the kitchen and dining room into a small bistro & share it w/ someone who has a true passion for food and it's ingredients. Oh to dream...


Do you have any big dreams you have felt the need to protect? Do share. I know I am not alone in harboring my dream like it is an illness. I have a feeling my secrecy is coming to an end.


"A desire for bigness has hurt many folks. Putting oneself in the limelight at the expense of others is a wrong idea of greatness. The secret of greatness rather than bigness is to acclimate oneself to one's place of service and be true to one's own convictions. A life of this kind of service will forever remain the measure of one's true greatness."
Richard W. Shelly, Jr.

16 comments:

Dayka Robinson said...

i love your dream, adrianna! the pieces would be fabulous because you have the best eye, and even if you do move, you know where to go to get all of the good stuff! i love this painted lady, too. if that's what you want, you must move here!!! i'll come to your bistro everyday and i'll take my snack out on the front porch where we can sit and chat.
like the quote says, the journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step. just do one thing towards it every day--even if it's small. you never know when your opportunity will come. GO FOR IT!! (and we must chat about the financial analyst bit).

Unknown said...

If we all only had a little more $$$, right? :) I would want more land-- mostly because my kids have never had tree forts like I for some reason that makes me SO SAD. Also, my husband grew up on a farm and although he's happy here in town, I think he'd be happier with more space :)

Redesign Diva said...

Hey baby girl, our dreams are VERY similar. Some of them you have to protect, others it is good to share them as you did here.

STOP calling it hoarding, you are actually working on them and clearing them out. For one person to do what you do and maintain a household is hard, long, time consuming work. But you ARE working towards it...

I need to get off my lazy bum and get back to it!...lol

By the way saw tons of purple there and even took a yellow pic for you...lol

Silvana Kathryn said...

I had this conversation with my mom last month.

A week later Glamour Magazine ran a version of the article she is reading. I ended up tearing it out and giving it to my mom.
It seems this is a feeling sweeping through women right now and the more we encourage each other the more we will accomplish.

Thanks again for reminding me.

Mary Ellen (ME) said...

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL POST! So inspiring! I think we all need to be reminded to follow our dreams! Thank you!
-ME

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Thanks I needed that. I am timidly pursuing a design career that involves remaking thrift store finds. I am terrified but trying to bravely forge ahead. DO IT!! Glad I found your blog, will follow!

Fran said...

This video rocks! Seriously, I love how true it is and I am inspired by your dream and aspirations. Thanks for sharing this. I plan on sending this video to my girlfriends!

j said...

I think you can do it. I support you. And I can't wait to see the pictures of your success.

It is easy for me to share my dream - I want to write/publish a book. But in fairness, I have to share my fear - that I'm too lazy to do it.

A more vague dream that I have is to be a blessing to my husband in a way that he would value financially (possibly through publishing a book that I'm afraid I'm too lazy to write?).

Awesome post.

brokeintrovert said...

I've given you the Sunshine Award!

Get Togetha said...

I totally believe in that quote. You've got to be true to yourself to totally be FREE in every aspect of the gift that is called "our lives".

There's something about being authentic within blogging that's cathartic.

Keep doing you.

GT

###### said...

girl i feel you..i to have dreams..i hope they are not just dreams..we can all do it, even if just a percentage that makes us happy..thanks for this post. hope all is good with you!

Free Art Printables said...

I think you should keep dreaming publicly. so we can all share!!!

j said...

You haven't been posting either! I hope all is well with you. Hugs!

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

Follow your dreams girl! I know I'm going to start following mine!

Just wanted to come check on you and see how you were doing while the husband is away. Hope all is well

CamelsNDragons said...

What a great quote. I dream of moving out of my ugly ranch into a house with some grace and character. I will settle for being able to get through dinner without having to get up and serve my toddler or share my food with her.
mymommymakesit

Symone's Mommy said...

Hey, Girl...hope you are well. I love that you have a dream and feel so passionately about it. Now, put it on paper and turn your dream into a goal.